May 2, 2010
Madison, Kansas is in Greenwood county, on the Verdigris River. It's a
fairly good size town, but no longer has anywhere near the population that it
Looking back towards the Flint Hills not far west of Eureka.
The Fall River.
The entrance to Madison "Home of the Bulldogs" from the south; just off
Kansas Highway 99.
All the downtown roads are brick and quite wide. The highway completely
bypasses the town so there is very little traffic.
Forty years from now these two kids will look back on the time when they lived
in Madison and had a swing hanging from the big tree just outside their house.
Madison, the second town in importance and size
in Greenwood county, is located on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe and the
Missouri Pacific railroads, and on the Verdigris river in Madison township,
27 miles northeast of Eureka, the county seat. It is the only important
shipping and receiving station for many miles around and has a number of
mercantile establishments. There are 2 banks, a weekly newspaper (the
Spirit), express and telegraph offices, and an international money order
postoffice with five rural routes. The schools are excellent and all the
leading denominations of churches are represented. The population in 1910
The first Madison was established in 1872, northwest
of the present town. E. Smith opened a general merchandise store, and later
four men named Green, Strails, Crinkle and Oglesby erected log buildings and
began business. In 1879, when the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R. was
built, the town was moved to the present site, which was laid out by a town
company with the following officers: President, L. J. Cunkle; secretary, S.
J. Wells; treasurer, W. Martindale. The postoffice was also moved, the
postmaster, T. A. McClure, still retaining his office. A school house was
built at the cost of $1,100, and E. Walters was the first teacher. The first
building on the new town site was the residence of W. H. Green. Professional
people came in, new business enterprises were established and inside of two
years the population had increased to 300. The first church was organized by
Rev. H. P. Baker before the founding of the town. The first newspaper (the
Madison News) was established in 1879 by W. O. Lundsford. - 
State Library of Kansas
A schoolhouse (now a museum) and cemetery a few miles east of Madison.
Kansas Highway 58, east into Woodson County.
Toronto, the second largest town in Woodson
county, is located on the Verdigris river at the junction of the Atchison,
Topeka & Santa Fe and the Missouri Pacific railroads in Toronto township, in
the southwest part of the county, 14 miles from Yates Center, the county
seat. It is an incorporated city of the third class, has all lines of
mercantile interests, good schools and churches, banking facilities, a
weekly newspaper (the Republican), and a fraternal monthly. The town is
supplied with telegraph and express offices and an international money order
postoffice with four rural routes. The population in 1910 was 627.
Toronto was laid out by a town company in 1869. A
school building had been put up several years before and with the founding
of the town it was moved to the public square and enlarged. The first new
building was the store of S. R. Kellogg. The postoffice was established in
1870, with Mr. Kellogg as postmaster. The early growth of the town was slow,
but the coming of the railroad in 1882 gave it new life and in that year
over 80 new buildings were erected. - 
State Library of Kansas
Yes; there are roads like this in Kansas.
Coyville, an incorporated city of Wilson
county, is located on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R. and on the
Verdigris river, in Verdigris township, 12 miles north of Fredonia, the
county seat. It has all the main lines of business, including banking
facilities. There are telegraph and express offices and a money order
postoffice with one rural route. The population in 1910 was 227.
The first store was opened at this point in 1859 by
Albert Hagen, a Polish Jew, whose principal customers were Osage Indians.
The first church was organized at the home of Rachel Conner by T. B.
Woodward. The place was named for Oscar Coy, who, with P. P. Steele, bought
out Hagen's store in 1864. In May, 1866. the postoffice was established with
Coy as postmaster. In August of the next year R. S. Futhey located a sawmill
a mile below the town, which was the first one in the county. The next year
he was grinding corn and making flour in the same mill. The mill was later
moved to Coyville. A bridge was erected over the Verdigris in 1873, and in
1886 the railroad was built. - 
State Library of Kansas
The Verdigris River.
The season's crop is coming up.
last edit: 5/2/2010